- experience bicycle issues first hand on a year-round bicycle
commute of almost 20 miles a day (12 of them on bikepaths) from the
Roslindale neighborhood of Boston (where the hills are) to my job as an
astronomical software developer
at the Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- manage the MassPaths web site,
- serve on the Boston Bikes
Advisory Board and Boston's Bike Network Advisory Committee
- managed the BayStateCycling
(formerly MassBike) mailing list since 1993,
- cofounded RozzieBikes to improve bicycling
conditions and recruit more cyclists in the Boston neighborhood of Roslindale, where I
have lived for 25 years.
- work on bikepaths
as a member of the
Neponset River Greenway Council,
the Emerald Necklace Greenway project,
and Mass. Green Routes, which aims to tie together all of our bike paths
- served on the board of the
Boston Natural Areas Network
(until it became The Trustees of Reservations Boston Region); it sponsors the
Neponset River Greenway Council
as well as the
East Boston Greenway Council,
which is developing a bikepath, too,
- still dream of connecting bikeways throughout Massachusetts
- plan those bikeway connections by working on the
Massachusetts portion of the
East Coast Greenway since 1991.
- received the Boston Bikes 2011 Lifetime Advocate Award,
the MassBike 2000 award for "Lifetime Commitment to
the Bicycling Community in Massachusetts",
the Charles River Wheelmen 1991 Volunteer Award
- been president of the Boston Area Bicycle Coalition
three times, and was a board member for all all but the first three
years of its existence,
- been the first president of the Bicycle Coalition of Massachusetts,
which grew out of the BABC and is now the
Massachusetts Bicycle Coalition,
- served on the boards of those organizations for 15 years from 1980
to 1995 (and again from 2004-2006),
- served on the several versions of the Boston Bicycle Advisory Committee.
- planned bike routes with the City of Boston,
- advocated bikes on trails as chair of the Statewide Trails Advisory
Board for three years during the 1980's,
- worked on bikepaths
as an advocate for the extension of the Charles River Bikepath, the
construction of the Minuteman Commuter Bikeway, and the reconstruction
of Boston's Emerald Necklace Greenway.
- co-coordinated Boston Bike Days in 1986, 1987, 1988, and 1989.
- worked on, documented, publicized, and sometimes run
from 1980 through
- worked on
Bikes on the T
for almost 20 years.